1. Get into shape: I’m still 70 kg, no increase, no decrease. I’m walking around 12 000 steps a day according to the pedometer app on my phone, this went down in July and August, with few lessons I had less motivation for getting out of the house. This month, December, I have been intent on hitting 10 000 steps a day, and have managed to do this for 14 days in succession, sometimes this has involved just extra walking around town, when normally I would have taken the metro or a bus. I also climb the 172 steps up Ikalto Hill to home about twice a day. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 4 out of 10).
2. Start eating healthier food, and less food overall. I am visiting fast food outlets less frequently, I can’t remember the last time I visited Wendy’s or McDonalds’s (I used to visit Wendy’s at least once a week), I still visit KFC about twice a month. I also eat far too many sweets. I do occasionally opt for a salad and chose water rather than a sugary drink. This still needs more work. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 4 out of 10).
3. Stop procrastinating: At the beginning of the year I was bingeing on “Grey’s Anatomy” then other series like “The Wire”. I have a fuller timetable now, so less opportunity to laze around. I still find I’m not making the most of unscheduled time. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 2 out of 10)
4. Meet new people: Apart from new students, most of the new people I meet are those who attend the English Language Exchange on Mondays, this is the social highlight of the week for me. I have trouble remembering names. So I have taken to writing new ames down in my phone, to help my memory. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 3 out of 10)
5. Give up cigarettes: This was a joke resolution, I have never smoked… (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 10 out of 10).
6. Read more: My target for the year is 40 books, I have just met this challenge, but I have been cheating a little, some books are bigger than others. I could spend more time reading and less time on Facebook. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 6 out of 10)
7. Become tidier: I really need to work on this. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 1 out of 10)
8. Start saving money: and this… (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 0 out of 10)
9. Learn a new language. I have been using Memrise to learn some Georgian words and Duolingo to learn some German, Portuguese and Dutch. I don’t know how useful these apps have been. My Duolingo streak reached 123, but if I were to meet a Brazilian or Portuguese person, there is a limit to what I can say. I’m listening to Georgian songs on YouTube, the tunes stick but few of the words are sticking (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 2 out of 10)
10. Pick up useful skills or fun hobbies. I have bought a computer with photoshop but haven’t done anything with the program yet. I also have an idea to try some stop motion animation, I have bought two lights and a Lego set but have yet to do anything with this. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 0 out of 10)
11. Travel more. I haven’t been out of Georgia this year. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 1 out of 10)
12. Go see your doctor more often: the only doctors I’ve seen are the pretend doctors on “Grey’s Anatomy” and those I have taught English to. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 0 out of 10)
13. Learn to cook new recipes: I have watched lots of cooks on YouTube, like Laura Vitale, Gordon Ramsay and Heston Blumenthal. But I have yet to turn their inspiration into actual cooking. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 1 out of 10)
14. Start being more creative: need to work on this…. (How do I think I’m doing on this resolution: 2 out of 10)
I think on 1st January, I’ll make the same resolutions and try to stick with them far more than I have this year.